It’s your wedding…one of the most beautiful days in your life. How else can you make the perfect occasion last? Capture the momentous event with great wedding photographs. Read on to make sure you choose the right wedding photography service for your big day.
The first thing to do is to give the most opportunities for the photographer when scheduling activities during the wedding day. When planning the time of the wedding ceremony and of the reception, couples should incorporate the time that the photographer requires to capture all of the couple’s special moments. There should be a gap between the end of the ceremony and beginning of the reception, to allow for more photographs for the bride, groom and wedding entourage, especially if they are in two different locations. This will ensure a more relaxed shoot and the couple will enjoy the entire wedding if the events are well spaced out.
Next, think of important factors when selecting a wedding photographer. The photographer should be able to show a few complete sets of wedding photos. Couples should not accept someone who shows only selected prints of their best photographs from different weddings. Ideally, all photographs from 3 to 4 complete wedding sets should be a criterion of a professional wedding photographer.
It is also good to have a photographer that gives a package with unlimited coverage for the whole day, so that photography will not be rushed.
Try to be aware of photography companies or individuals that contract out jobs to a pool of wedding photographers or even freelancers. Salespersons often pose as actual photographers and try to attract customers. Make sure companies deal openly, and ask them to show 3 to 4 complete weddings from each of the photographers they offer you, so you can choose. Make sure the chosen photographer is the one that will cover your wedding. Otherwise, it is better to find a photographer that personally shoots weddings. A two-person team is even better because two points of view of the wedding can be taken.
Some photographers only offer the traditional wedding photography style, or strictly a photojournalistic style. It is best to find a versatile photographer that can do both.
Lastly, couples should take note of some important questions to ask a prospective wedding photographer:
- Are coloured and black & white photographs included, or would he charge extra for black and white photographs? Dramatic effects can be made with black and white photographs, so remember to check if this is a premium.
- Are hand and digital colouring or digital colour separation included in the package or would he charge extra for these? Better pictures are developed when the photograph colours are separated first, improved, and then printed.
- What kind of cameras does he use? Does he use medium format equipment and have a backup? Does have a “leaf” shutter or “focal plane”?
- What lenses does he use? Does he use only one, or will he change lenses? Make him show you photo effects that he is able to achieve with different lenses and choose the ones which you like to appear with your photographs.
- Is he willing to customize a package that is within your budget?
Asking intelligent questions will encourage photographers to deal openly with customers. Remember, it’s your special day, and you should make sure that the wedding photography is something that will help you and your loved ones relive those wonderful memories.